Graduate Students FAQ

What is the application processing fee for?

Your $75 application fee covers the administrative costs of processing your application and is not refundable. Applications cannot be reviewed without the fee.

Do I have to apply online?

Yes. We do not offer a paper application.

Will you accept letters of recommendation via e-mail?

Yes, but we prefer that recommenders submit letters electronically through our online application system.

Do you accept letters of recommendation through the mail?

Yes. Hard-copy letters of recommendation should be in sealed envelopes with the recommender’s signature across the seal.

Should I waive my right to view my recommendation?

Yes. Recommenders are less likely to complete a letter of recommendation if the applicant does not waive their right to view the recommendation.

I was educated outside the United States. Do I need to have my transcript evaluated?

Yes, you should obtain an evaluation from an NACES-accredited agency. All documents not issued in English by the official institution must be accompanied by certified English translations. Globe Language Services is not accepted for graduate admissions.

What is Brooklyn College’s school code for the GRE, TOEFL, GMAT, and IELTS?

Our ETS Institution code is 2046.

How should I submit my documents for my application?

In order to make sure your documents are matched to your application, upload the documents before submitting the application. If you have already submitted the application, send any remaining documents via e-mail.

Do I have to submit all transcripts?

Yes, your transcripts must be mailed to the Office of Graduate Admissions. A transcript is required from each college or university you attended for academic credit, showing all of your courses, grades, and degrees received. You can e-mail your official transcripts to us, or the school can mail them to us in their original, sealed envelopes.

Do they have to be official copies?

Your applications can be reviewed with unofficial transcripts. However, if you are admitted to Brooklyn College, you must submit official transcripts in order to register for classes.

I am a Brooklyn College alumnus; do I need to submit my Brooklyn College transcripts?

No. we will obtain your transcript from the college’s student record system if you attended from 2003 or later.

I am an alumnus of another CUNY college. Do I need to submit my CUNY transcripts?

No. We will obtain your transcript from the college’s student record system if you attended from 2003 or later.

How will I know my application status?

You are able to sign into your application system at any time to see the status of your application.

How long will it take for a decision to be rendered on my application?

Different programs have different review periods. Some programs will require an interview before a decision is made.

What is the required GPA (grade point average)?

Successful applicants to our programs usually have an undergraduate GPA of 3.00 or higher.

Should I apply if I have not completed the necessary undergraduate prerequisite courses?

We recommend that you contact the graduate deputy (departmental faculty member) for advice.

Who makes the admission decision?

The academic departmental committee reviews applications and renders decisions.

Can I defer my offer of admissions?

Applicants who are admitted can defer. However, in some cases a deferral will require the graduate deputy’s permission.

Can I apply for transfer credits?

Admitted students must consult with their graduate deputy to see if the program allows for transfer credits.

Who can explain to me why I was denied?

To obtain feedback on your application, send a request in writing to the Office of Graduate Admissions.

Brooklyn. All in.