Student Ombudsperson

The mission of the student ombudsperson is to ensure that students are able to define and articulate their concern or issue and are referred to the appropriate contact persons on campus to help them arrive at a solution in an effective and timely manner.

The student ombudsperson will act as a source of information on university rules, regulations, policies, and procedures, and will provide guidance in utilizing these resources as appropriate. Students are encouraged to seek the advice of the student ombudsperson, especially if the concern relates to medical difficulties or financial difficulties.

Dean Smith

If you need help, contact Student Affairs at 718.951.5352 or via e-mail. Dean Smith or one of her staff members will be happy to assist you.

Food Insecurity Resources

Resources are available for students experiencing food insecurity and struggling to eat regular healthy meals every day. Resources include, but are not limited to, the BC Food Pantry, grocery store cards, and food vouchers to use near campus. Connecting to these resources is easy. Schedule an appointment using the Student Affairs Help Tool in BC WebCentral for food insecurity assistance. A staff member will follow up with more information.

Financial Resources at Brooklyn College

In order to be eligible for the following resources managed by Student Affairs, you must be a degree-seeking student in good academic standing. Note that these resources are one-shot assistance:

Request for a Medical Release From Classes

Students who find themselves facing serious medical issues, physical or psychological, can make a request to be released from their classes. The Medical Release process outlines the steps needed to make a request and the steps needed to return for a future semester. The request form should be completed and submitted along with a brief statement and copies of the relevant documentation to the student ombudsperson. If the request is for a prior semester, the Community Provider Report Form and Financial Aid and Bursar Liability Form must be included.

Student Bereavement Policy

Students who experience the death of a loved one must contact the Division of Student Affairs, 2113 Boylan Hall, at 718.951.5352 or via e-mail if they wish to implement either the Standard Bereavement Procedure or the Leave of Absence Bereavement Procedure. The Division of Student Affairs has the right to request a document that verifies the death (e.g., a funeral program or death notice).

Typically, this death involves that of an immediate family member, in parallel to the bereavement policy for staff and faculty. However, it is up to the discretion of the Division of Student Affairs to determine if a death outside of the immediate family warrants implementation of the student bereavement policy.

Immediate family shall be defined as spouse; natural, foster, or stepparent; grandchild; mother-in-law; father-in-law; natural, foster, or stepbrother; natural, foster, or stepsister; natural, foster, or stepchild; or any relative residing in the same household, including the domestic partner of the student, a child or parent of the domestic partner, and any other relative of the domestic partner living in the same household.

Student Absence Notification

Students are responsible for contacting each of their faculty members regarding their absence from class. Upon request, the student ombudsperson will notify faculty regarding a student’s absence due to hospitalization, death in the family, or other emergencies.

The notification serves as a courtesy notice and not a verification of the absence. Students are advised to be aware of any faculty instructions regarding class absences.

For more information or to request a Student Absence Notification, e-mail the student ombudsperson.

How to Get Help: Addressing Student Grievance (non-academic)

When seeking help, the student ombudsperson recommends that you:

  • think about what you would like to accomplish;
  • review your department’s guidelines, as regulations and practices may have changed over time;
  • identify the action steps you will take to achieve your goal; and
  • keep a written record of the offices or departments where you went for help, the dates of your visits, and the names of the individuals with whom you spoke about the issue.

Where to Get Help: Tips to Stay Ahead

Students should keep records of important documents in one location for easy accessibility, such as:

  • Midterms, finals, papers, and syllabi
  • Degree audit
  • Bills (e.g., bursar transactions)
  • All notices of course exemptions or substitution (e.g., CPE, speech, foreign language)

Students should read these college publications and the public information relayed or posted in/on campus to stay informed:

Know the location of the following helpful offices:

Participate in helpful workshops:

Get to know your department:

Request for 24-Hour/After-Hours Access

Students may request 24-Hour/After-Hours access to Brooklyn College for academically related projects. A complete request includes written authorization from a faculty member or designee, approval from the Student Affairs and approval from Campus and Community Safety Services. A decision regarding 24-hour/After-Hours access requires a minimum of two business days.

Authorization for 24-hour/After-Hours access is limited to:

  • Graduate students
  • Students specializing in art / music programs
  • Officially registered e-board members of campus student newspapers
  • Lab research assistants
  • Undergraduate students only with a specific reason

Students must be currently enrolled at Brooklyn College in order to submit a request each semester. In addition, the support of a faculty member or designee is required in writing. If the request is related to a student newspaper, individuals representing the campus newspaper must obtain authorization from their adviser. It must be presented in writing, stating specifics regarding the need for access. This written permission must be uploaded to the request.

Request for 24-Hour/After-Hours Access Form

An enrolled student who is in need of securing space on campus for academically related or co-curricular film projects must complete an Access To Campus (ATC) approval form, available in the Film Department.

Contact Information

2113 Boylan Hall
Mondays–Fridays: 9 a.m.–5 p.m.; other times by appointment
P: 718.951.5352

Brooklyn. All in.