Part-Time Separation-Related Resources

Hourly Employees Separation FAQ

What will be my final date on the payroll?

Final date on the payroll will depend on your last day of employment.

When will I receive my final paycheck?

To determine distribution of your final paycheck, refer to the 2020–21 payroll calendar (PDF).

How do I file for New York State Unemployment Insurance?

Unemployment Insurance is temporary income for eligible workers who lose their jobs through no fault of their own. You can file your claim here.

I currently have health insurance with CUNY. when will my health insurance coverage end?

Health insurance coverage will be determined by the last date of effective employment.

CAs are paid on a lag schedule. As an example, if the CA’s appointment ends on June 30, the time worked from June 21 to July 4 will be paid on July 30, which will also include any unused annual time.

If the CA does not receive another appointment for the new fiscal year, then July 30 will be when he or she receive the last paycheck, thus ending benefits.

I currently have Welfare Fund benefits with my union. When will my welfare fund benefits (dental, prescription, vision) end?

The termination date of benefits will be determined by the Welfare Fund. You should contact your union directly for more information.

What is COBRA?

The Federal Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 (COBRA) requires that the city offer employees, retirees, and their families the opportunity to continue group health and welfare fund coverage in certain instances where the coverage would otherwise end. If you lose your health coverage, you and your dependents may be eligible to continue to receive some or all of these benefits by paying a premium for COBRA coverage. The monthly premium will be 102% of the group rate. More information is here (PDF).

What is COBRA through the Welfare Fund?

If Welfare Fund benefit coverage is lost, participants and dependents may be eligible to continue to receive some or all of those benefits by paying a premium. The right to continuation coverage was created by federal law, the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985, otherwise known as COBRA. You should contact your union directly for more information.

How do I enroll in COBRA?

To enroll in COBRA, complete the COBRA application (PDF) and return to the College Benefits Officer within 60 days of effective separation date. Enrolling in basic Health Insurance COBRA does not ensure enrollment in Welfare Fund COBRA and vice versa.

How do I enroll in welfare fund COBRA?

Welfare Fund COBRA coverage is separate and apart from basic Health Insurance COBRA coverage. Enrolling in Welfare Fund COBRA does not ensure enrollment in basic Health insurance COBRA and vice versa. Each hourly employee should contact their union directly for more information.

What happens to my pension contributions?

The pension available for all hourly titles is the New York City Employees’ Retirement System (NYCERS). If the affected hourly employees are enrolled in NYCERS and separate, all questions about their pension plan should be directed to NYCERS at its website or 347.643.3000.

What if I want to retire?

CUNY/The college cannot determine your eligibility for retirement. This can only be determined by your pension fund (NYCERS).

If you have made contributions to your pension fund and have the required years of service, you may be eligible to retire. If you decide to retire, you must file paperwork with NYCERS (pension fund), no earlier than 30 days and no later than 90 days after separating from the college.

For more information, contact NYCERS directly at its website or at 347.643.3000.

Will I be paid out for my accrued annual and sick leave?

You will be paid for unused annual time in a lump sum payment. Unused sick leave will be forfeited.

When will I receive my W-2 statement?

The state usually mails out the W-2 statement directly to the home address before January 31 of each year. It is important to make sure that the Office of Human Resource Services has your current mailing address.

To update your mailing address, complete the Basic Personnel and Address Form (PDF).

Submit the form to Office of Human Resource Services via e-mail.

Separation-Related Resources

Find Employment

The City of New York has developed resources for those who may be unemployed due to COVID-19 or are seeking additional assistance.


Workforce1 helps New Yorkers prepare for, and connect to, jobs across New York City’s five boroughs and in every sector of the economy. The Virtual Workforce1 Career Center system connects New Yorkers, via web or phone, to one-on-one help from professionals.


ACCESS NYC is a portal for New York City residents to determine their eligibility for over 30 economic opportunity programs and benefits. It also includes a regularly updated list of COVID-19 response resources.

The Brooklyn Public Library

The Brooklyn Public Library provides free résumé review/career support.

The New York Public Library

212.592.7006 |
NYPL offers virtual career services and resources.

Career and Resilience Coaching

Career coaches help with networking, interviewing skills, and more. Career coaching is a free service available to job seekers who wish to focus on an existing job search strategy and/or gain insight on how to craft an effective self-marketing plan.

Volunteer resilience coaches provide skills to deal with feeling isolated and build mental resilience to move forward in whatever you need to accomplish.

The resilience coaching sessions do not count towards the career coaching sessions and vice versa so that you can make concurrent appointments. Note: A maximum three sessions per customer is permitted within a three-month window.

NYPL databases for career/job search available from home
  • Career Cruising:  résumé samples, career guides, assessments to discover your transferable skills, your learning styles, and to access college and scholarship information.
  • video training tutorials in various skills: Microsoft, Adobe, HTML, résumés , salary negotiation, interviewing skills, business writing, and more.
  • Learning Express: online tutorials, practice tests, and e-books to help patrons of all ages in job search and workplace skills improvement; skill-building in reading, writing, math, and basic science; career certification; licensure exam prep; college and grad school entrance test prep; GED® test prep; and more.
Career and Job Search Seminars

Career Services NYPL on Facebook offers numerous recordings of career and job search seminars presented by industry experts. You don’t have to join Facebook to view the recordings.

Other Helpful Websites to Find Employment

Interview Prep Material
résumé Help

Financial Counseling

The City of New York

The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection’s NYC Financial Empowerment Centers provide free one-on-one professional, financial counseling over the phone. Counselors can help you create a budget, manage bills, save for essentials, deal with student loans, and more. Make an appointment online.

New York Public Library

Financial counselors are available by phone. Make a 30-minute appointment to speak with them about your current financial situation, including general money management, budgeting, saving, banking, retirement planning, and more. This appointment is for a specific date and time; the counselor will contact you as the appointment approaches, and call you at the appointed time. Make an appointment online.

Credit Counseling

Do you have credit or debt issues? Questions about your loans? Make a one-hour phone or web appointment with a counselor from the Financial Coaching Corps, Community Service Society of New York. Call 212.614.5586; leave a message, and a counselor will contact you.

Rent Arrears, Housing and Public Assistance

Cash Assistance

If your work schedule was reduced as a result of the coronavirus and you are unable to pay your rent, you can apply for a Cash Assistance special grant request to get benefits for emergencies. If you have an active Cash Assistance case, visit ACCESS HRA.

Tenants’ Rights for Tenants with COVID-19 or Under Home-Quarantine

Resources are available to you if you are a tenant in New York City and are facing hardship due to COVID-19. The city is here to help you maintain stable housing. Learn more about tenants’ rights for tenants with COVID-19 or under home-quarantine.

New York City Housing Authority

NYCHA residents who experience a loss of income may qualify for a rent reduction. Households that have experienced a complete income loss may qualify for the Zero Income Policy (PDF).

Food Assistance

Visit for COVID-19 food assistance resources.

Visit FoodHelp NYC to find a location near your home distributing meals for free, including food pantries and Grab & Go meals at NYC schools, available for all children or adults in need.

Visit ACCESS HRA to apply for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP/food stamps)

New York City Department for the Aging provides home-delivered meals are available for seniors ages 60 years and older who may have disabilities, access, or functional needs.

HungerFree NYC and Hunter College Food Policy Center publish neighborhood-based food resource guides. These guides covers all neighborhoods in New York City by ZIP code and are available in multiple languages.

City Harvest Mobile Markets distribute fresh produce in all five boroughs.

Emergency food delivery assistance is available to you if you:

  • Are unable to go out and get food for yourself, AND
  • Do not have someone else in your household who can get food for you, AND
  • Do not have a family member, friend, or neighbor who lives nearby who can get food for you, AND
  • Do not receive food from Meals on Wheels, God’s Love We Deliver or a similar service, AND
  • Are not able to afford food delivery from a restaurant or grocery store.

Community Mental Health Resources

Free Services

Flatlands Guidance Center as part of Catholic Charities

2037 Utica Avenue | 718.722.6001 |
Offering a range of services to help families throughout Brooklyn and Queens. Services offered include family services, food assistance, immigration integration, homelessness assistance and more.

Jewish Board of Family and Children’s Services

2928 W. 36th St | 212.584.8495 |
Offering a range of services to individuals of every background with multiple offices throughout the five boroughs. Services offered include, family services, mental health counseling, homelessness assistance and more.

1-800-NYC Well

NYC Well is New York City’s free, confidential support, crisis intervention, and information and referral service for anyone seeking help for mental health and/or substance misuse concerns, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.


Health insurance carriers are now offering expanded opportunities to speak with medical providers by telephone or video. This chart (PDF) displays what each carrier is offering members.

The 10 Minute Mind

Personal Counseling and Human Resource Services have teamed up with The 10 Minute Mind to offer a free digital subscription to daily mindfulness meditation sessions.

Services with Fees

Brooklyn Center for Psychotherapy

300 Flatbush Avenue | 718.622.2000 |
A clinic treatment center that provides services for mental health counseling and chemical dependency treatment. All sessions will be conducted over the phone or video. Most major medical insurances are accepted as well as Medicaid Managed Care. For those without insurance, a sliding scale fee is offered.

Interborough Developmental & Consultation Center, Inc.

Outpatient Mental Health Clinic | 1623 Kings Highway | 718.375.1200 |
A clinic treatment center that provides service for mental health counseling. Most major medical insurances are accepted as well as Medicaid Managed Care.

New Horizon

Ozone Park and Rockaway | 108-19 Rockaway Boulevard | 718.845.2620 |
A clinic treatment center that provides services for mental health counseling and chemical dependency treatment. Most major medical insurances are accepted as well as Medicaid Managed Care. For those without insurance, a sliding scale fee is offered.

Queens Consultation Center, LLC

9520 63rd Road | 917.670.7031 |
A multidisciplinary mental health clinic that provides psychotherapy and psychiatric services, including psychotropic medications. Most major medical insurances are accepted as well as Medicaid Managed Care.

Sunset Terrace Family Health Center at NYU Langone

514 49th Street | 718.431.2600 |
The team at Sunset Terrace Family Health Center, part of the Family Health Centers at NYU Langone, provides behavioral health services, adult primary and specialty care, an on-site pharmacy, and dental care for adults and children. All programs offer bilingual services and are respectful of the needs of the LGBTQ+ community. If you do not have health insurance, call NYU at 212.263.1481 to get information about an out-of-pocket cost estimate, review the hospital’s Financial Assistance Policy, and your eligibility for subsidized health insurance through programs such as Medicaid.

Domestic Violence Resources

Live Your Dream.Org is a movement fiercely dedicated to ensuring every woman and girl has the opportunity to reach her full potential, be free from violence, and live her dreams. They provide advocacy and action opportunities to spread awareness about causes such as access to education, empowering girls, and ending violence against women.

New York State Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence

The New York State Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence has a complete listing of all domestic violence prevention resources and information.

New York State Domestic and Sexual Violence Hotline 1.800.942.6906

English, Spanish, and multi-language accessibility. Deaf or hard of hearing, call 711.

NYC Domestic Violence Support Webpage

The NYC Domestic Violence Support Webpage is a comprehensive list of all support services offered by New York City for victims of domestic violence and abuse. If you or someone you know is experiencing this kind of behavior from a partner, please call New York City’s 24 hour Domestic Violence Hotline, 800.621.HOPE.

NYC Well

NYC Well is your connection to free, confidential mental health support. Speak to a counselor via phone, text, or chat and get access to mental health and substance use services, in more than 200 languages, 24/7/365.

Safe Horizon

Safe Horizon is the largest nonprofit victim services agency in the United States. This organization has helped more than 250,000 children, adults, and families affected by crime and abuse throughout New York City each year.

Other Government Resources

NYC COVID-19 Resources Web Page

New York City’s dedicated page to coronavirus resources. For more information on the city’s response to COVID-19, visit or call 311 (212.639.9675 for Video Relay Service, or TTY: 212.504.4115). You can also text “COVID” to 692-692 for updates and information, or text “COVIDESP” to 692-692 for updates in Spanish.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

The CDC has published resources so employees may educate themselves on planning, preparing, and coping with stress before and during a COVID-19 outbreak.

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration provides additional information and access to assistance for those coping with stress and anxiety related to COVID-19.

The CARES Act Student loan relief

The CARES Act includes major student loan relief, including no federal student loan payments, no interest on federal student loan payments, and the suspension of student loan debt collection. The temporary student loan relief will be active until September 30, 2020. The CARES Act does not include private student loans, nor does it provide any student loan forgiveness.


Think you won’t be able to make rent?

From March 16 eviction proceedings and pending orders were suspended statewide until further notice.

Think you won’t be able to make utility payments?

New York’s major electric and gas utilities have agreed not to cut power or heat from customers unable to pay their bills during the pandemic, at the state’s request. National Grid, Con Edison, Central Hudson, Orange and Rockland, New York State Electric and Gas, Rochester Electric and Gas, PSEG Long Island, and National Fuel Gas have agreed to the policy.

Think you won’t be able to make your mortgage payments?

New York has announced that if you’re not working or working only part-time, financial institutions will offer a 90-day mortgage relief. This will not have a negative affect on your credit score. Banks will not charge late fees, and they will postpone or suspend foreclosures.

Think you won’t be able to pay your taxes on time?

Don’t panic. The IRS will move the national income tax filing day ahead to July 15, giving Americans an extra three months to file as they grapple with the coronavirus crisis. Details may be found here.

Look into accessing your Roth IRA.

If you’ve already been laid off and you don’t have any money but have a Roth IRA, you can take out your contributions you’ve made in prior years tax free. If you have 401k, you might be able to take a loan. Look for low-interest products and avoid payday loans. More specific advice on loans and accessing government assistance programs, is available here.

Think you may be about to default on payments?

Contact creditors right away and consider sending temporary hardship letters. More specific advice on how to do this is available here.

Brooklyn. All in.