Separation-Related Resources

Adjunct Separation FAQ

What will be my final date on the payroll?

Final date on payroll for adjuncts will be May 22, 2020.

When will I receive my final paycheck?

Adjuncts will receive their final paycheck on May 21, 2020. You can refer to the 2020–21 Adjunct payroll calendar (PDF).

How do I file for New York State Unemployment Insurance?

Unemployment Insurance is temporary income for eligible workers who lose their jobs through no fault of their own. You can file your claim here.

I currently have health insurance with CUNY. when will my health insurance coverage end?

Adjuncts who recertified their health insurance in spring 2020 will have health insurance coverage through August 31, 2020.

Adjuncts who enrolled for the first time in spring 2020, will have health insurance coverage through July 31, 2020.

For questions related to adjunct health insurance, contact the University Benefits Office Dedicated Adjunct Phone Line, 646.664.3401, or send an e-mail.

I currently have Welfare Fund benefits with PSC-CUNY. When will my welfare fund benefits (dental, prescription, vision) end?

The Welfare Fund benefits will terminate on the same day medical insurance ends. For questions on welfare fund benefits, adjuncts should contact the PSC-CUNY Welfare Fund, 212.354.1252.

What is COBRA?

If health coverage is lost, participants and dependents may be eligible to continue to receive some or all of those benefits by paying a premium. The Federal Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 (COBRA) requires that the city offer employees, retirees, and their families the opportunity to continue group health and/or welfare fund coverage in certain instances where the coverage would otherwise terminate. The monthly premium will be 102% of the group rate. For more information, send an e-mail.

What is COBRA through the Welfare Fund?

If Welfare Fund benefit coverage is lost, participants and dependents may be eligible to continue to receive some or all of those benefits by paying a premium. The right to continuation coverage was created by federal law, the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985, otherwise known as COBRA. For more information, visit the PSC Welfare Fund website.

How do I enroll in COBRA?

Upon separation from the college, a COBRA packet will be sent to you from the University Benefits Office. If you do not receive the COBRA packet, call CUNY’s Dedicated Adjunct Phone Line at 646.664.3401 or e-mail the University Benefits Office.

Enrolling in basic health insurance COBRA does not ensure enrollment in Welfare Fund COBRA and vice versa.

How do I enroll in Welfare Fund COBRA?

Welfare Fund COBRA coverage is separate and apart from basic Health Insurance COBRA coverage. The forms to enroll in PSC Welfare Fund COBRA will be included in the COBRA packet e-mailed to you from the University Benefits Office. Enrolling in Welfare Fund COBRA does not ensure enrollment in basic Health Insurance COBRA and vice versa.

What happens to my pension contributions?

Adjuncts who have questions regarding pension and pension contributions should contact TRS directly, at 888.8.NYC.TRS.

When will I receive my 2020 W-2 statement?

W-2 forms are received from the state before January 31 of each year and are mailed directly from Albany to the employee’s home address on file.

To update the mailing address you have on file, complete the Basic Personnel and Address Form (PDF).

Submit form to Office of Human Resource Services via e-mail.

Separation-Related Resources

Find Employment

The City of New York

The City of New York has developed resources for those who may be unemployed due to COVID-19 or are seeking additional assistance.


Workforce1 helps New Yorkers prepare for, and connect to, jobs across New York City’s five boroughs and in every sector of the economy. The Virtual Workforce1 Career Center system connects New Yorkers, via web or phone, to one-on-one help from professionals. To get employment assistance, visit the Virtual Workforce1 Career Center online.


ACCESS NYC is a portal for New York City residents to determine their eligibility for more than 30 economic opportunity programs and benefits. It also includes a regularly updated list of COVID-19 response resources.

The Brooklyn Public Library

The Brooklyn Public Library provides free résumé review/career support.

The New York Public Library

The New York Public Library offers Virtual Career Services Resources. Call 212.592.7006 or send an e-mail for more information.

Career and Resilience Coaching

Career coaches help with networking, interviewing skills, and more. Career coaching is a free service available to job seekers who wish to focus on an existing job search strategy and/or gain insight on how to craft an effective self-marketing plan.

Volunteer resilience coaches provide skills to deal with feeling isolated and build mental resilience to move forward in whatever you need to accomplish.

The resilience coaching sessions do not count toward the career coaching sessions and vice versa so that you can make concurrent appointments. Note: A maximum three sessions per customer is permitted within a three-month window.

NYPL databases for career/job search available from home

Career Cruising: résumé samples, career guides, assessments to discover your transferable skills, your learning styles, and to access college and scholarship information. video training tutorials in various skills: Microsoft, Adobe, HTML, résumés, salary negotiation, interviewing skills, business writing, and more.

Learning Express: online tutorials, practice tests, and e-books to help patrons of all ages in job search and workplace skills improvement; skill-building in reading, writing, math, and basic science; career certification; licensure exam prep; college and grad school entrance test prep; GED® test prep; and more.

Career and Job Search Seminars

Career Services NYPL on Facebook offers numerous recordings of career and job search seminars presented by industry experts. You don’t have to join Facebook to view the recordings.

Other Helpful Websites to Find Employment

Financial Counseling

The City of New York

The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection’s NYC Financial Empowerment Centers provide free one-on-one professional, financial counseling over the phone. Counselors can help you create a budget, manage bills, save for essentials, deal with student loans, and more. Make an appointment online.

New York Public Library

Financial counselors are available by phone. Make a 30-minute appointment to speak with them about your current financial situation, including general money management, budgeting, saving, banking, retirement planning, and more. This appointment is for a specific date and time; the counselor will contact you as the appointment approaches, and call you at the appointed time.

Credit Counseling

Do you have credit or debt issues? Questions about your loans? Make a one-hour phone or web appointment with a counselor from the Financial Coaching Corps, Community Service Society of New York. Call 212.614.5586; leave a message, and a counselor will contact you.

Rent Arrears, Housing, and Public Assistance

Cash Assistance

If your work schedule was reduced as a result of the coronavirus and you are unable to pay your rent, you can apply for a Cash Assistance special grant request to get benefits for emergencies. If you have an active Cash Assistance case, visit ACCESS HRA.

Tenants’ Rights for Tenants with COVID-19 or Under Home-Quarantine

Resources are available to you if you are a tenant in New York City and are facing hardship due to COVID-19. The city is here to help you maintain stable housing. Learn more about tenants’ rights for tenants with COVID-19 or under home-quarantine.

New York City Housing Authority

NYCHA residents who experience a loss of income may qualify for a rent reduction. Households that have experienced a complete income loss may qualify for the Zero Income Policy (PDF).

Food Assistance


Visit for COVID-19 food assistance resources.

Visit FoodHelp NYC to find a location near your home distributing meals for free, including food pantries and Grab & Go meals at New York City schools, available for all children or adults in need.

Visit ACCESS HRA to apply for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP/food stamps).

New York City Department for the Aging provides home-delivered meals are available for seniors ages 60 years and older who may have disabilities, access, or functional needs.

HungerFree NYC and Hunter College Food Policy Center publish neighborhood-based food resource guides. These guides covers all neighborhoods in New York City by ZIP code and are available in multiple languages.

City Harvest Mobile Markets distribute fresh produce in all five boroughs.

Emergency food delivery assistance is available to you if you:

  • Are unable to go out and get food for yourself, AND
  • Do not have someone else in your household who can get food for you, AND
  • Do not have a family member, friend, or neighbor who lives nearby who can get food for you, AND
  • Do not receive food from Meals on Wheels, God’s Love We Deliver, or a similar service, AND
  • Are not able to afford food delivery from a restaurant or grocery store.

Community Mental Health Resources

Free Services

Flatlands Guidance Center as part of Catholic Charities

Offering a range of services to help families throughout Brooklyn and Queens. Services include family services, food assistance, immigration integration, homelessness assistance and more. 2037 Utica Avenue, 718.722.6001.

Jewish Board of Family and Children’s Services

Offering a range of services to individuals of every background with multiple offices throughout the five boroughs. Services include, family services, mental health counseling, homelessness assistance and more. 2928 West 36th Street, 212.584.8495.

1-800-NYC Well

NYC Well is New York City’s free, confidential support, crisis intervention, and information and referral service for anyone seeking help for mental health and/or substance misuse concerns, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.


Health insurance carriers offer expanded opportunities to speak with medical providers by telephone or video. This chart (PDF) displays what each carrier is offering members.

The 10 Minute Mind

Personal Counseling and Human Resource Services have teamed up with The 10 Minute Mind to offer a free digital subscription to daily mindfulness meditation sessions.

Services with FeeS

Brooklyn Center for Psychotherapy

A clinic treatment center that provides services for mental health counseling and chemical dependency treatment. All sessions will be conducted over the phone or video. Most major medical insurances are accepted as well as Medicaid Managed Care. For those without insurance, a sliding scale fee is offered. 300 Flatbush Avenue, 718.622.2000.

Interborough Developmental & Consultation Center, Inc. Outpatient Mental Health Clinic

A clinic treatment center that provides service for mental health counseling. Most major medical insurances are accepted as well as Medicaid Managed Care. 1623 Kings Highway, 718.375.1200.

New Horizon—Ozone Park and Rockaway

A clinic treatment center that provides services for mental health counseling and chemical dependency treatment. Most major medical insurances are accepted as well as Medicaid Managed Care. For those without insurance, a sliding scale fee is offered. 08-19 Rockaway Boulevard, 718.845.2620.

Queens Consultation Center, LLC

A multidisciplinary mental health clinic that provides psychotherapy and psychiatric services, including psychotropic medications. Most major medical insurances are accepted as well as Medicaid Managed Care. 9520 63rd Road, 917.670.7031.

Sunset Terrace Family Health Center at NYU Langone

The team at Sunset Terrace Family Health Center, part of the Family Health Centers at NYU Langone, provides behavioral health services, adult primary and specialty care, an on-site pharmacy, and dental care for adults and children. All programs offer bilingual services and are respectful of the needs of the LGBTQ+ community. If you do not have health insurance, call NYU at 212.263.1481 to get information about an out-of-pocket cost estimate, review the hospital’s Financial Assistance Policy, and your eligibility for subsidized health insurance through programs such as Medicaid. 514 49th Street, 718.431.2600.

Domestic Violence Resources

Live Your Dream.Org is a movement fiercely dedicated to ensuring every woman and girl has the opportunity to reach her full potential, be free from violence, and live her dreams. They provide advocacy and action opportunities to spread awareness about causes such as access to education, empowering girls, and ending violence against women.

New YorK State Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence

The New York State Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence has a complete listing of all domestic violence prevention resources and information.

New York State Domestic and Sexual Violence Hotline 1.800.942.6906

English, Spanish, and multi-language accessibility. Deaf or hard of hearing, call 711.

NYC Domestic Violence Support Webpage

The NYC Domestic Violence Support Webpage is a comprehensive list of all support services offered by New York City for victims of domestic violence and abuse. If you or someone you know is experiencing this kind of behavior from a partner, call the 24-hour Domestic Violence Hotline, 800.621.HOPE.

NYC Well

NYC Well is your connection to free, confidential mental health support. Speak to a counselor via phone, text, or chat and get access to mental health and substance use services, in more than 200 languages, 24/7/365.

Safe Horizon

Safe Horizon is the largest nonprofit victim services agency in the United States. This organization has helped more than 250,000 children, adults, and families affected by crime and abuse throughout New York City each year.

Other Government Resources

NYC COVID-19 Resources Web Page

New York City’s dedicated page to coronavirus resources. For more information on the city’s response to COVID-19, visit or call 311 or 212.639.9675 for Video Relay Service, or TTY at 212.504.4115. You can also text “COVID” to 692-692 for updates and information, or text “COVIDESP” to 692-692 for updates in Spanish.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

The CDC has published resources so employees may educate themselves on planning, preparing, and coping with stress before and during a COVID-19 outbreak.

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration provides additional information and access to assistance for those coping with stress and anxiety related to COVID-19.

The CARES Act Student loan relief

The CARES Act includes major student loan relief, including no federal student loan payments, no interest on federal student loan payments, and the suspension of student loan debt collection. The CARES Act does not include private student loans, nor does it provide any student loan forgiveness.


Think you won’t be able to make rent?

Eviction proceedings and pending orders were suspended statewide until further notice.

Think you won’t be able to make utility payments?

New York’s major electric and gas utilities have agreed not to cut power or heat from customers unable to pay their bills during the pandemic, at the state’s request. National Grid, Con Edison, Central Hudson, Orange and Rockland, New York State Electric and Gas, Rochester Electric and Gas, PSEG Long Island and National Fuel Gas have agreed to the policy.

Think you won’t be able to make your mortgage payments?

New York has announced that if you’re not working or working only part-time, financial institutions will offer a 90-day mortgage relief. This will not have a negative affect on your credit score. Banks will not charge late fees, and they will postpone or suspend foreclosures.

Think you won’t be able to pay your taxes on time?

Don’t panic. The IRS will move the national income tax filing day ahead to July 15, giving Americans an extra three months to file as they grapple with the coronavirus crisis.

Look into accessing your Roth IRA.

If you’ve already been laid off and you don’t have any money but have a Roth IRA, you can take out your contributions you’ve made in prior years tax free. If you have 401k you might be able to take a loan. Look for low-interest products and avoid payday loans. More specific advice on loans and accessing government assistance programs.

Think you may be about to default on payments?

Contact creditors right away and consider sending temporary hardship letters.

PSC CUNY Adjunct Unemployment FAQ

Note: When applying for unemployment insurance (UI), check the New York State Department of Labor website for up-to-date info.

Who Should Apply?

We encourage teaching and non-teaching adjuncts and adjunct CLTs to apply for UI when the semester ends. Many adjuncts are eligible to receive benefits, though there are some exceptions (see “What Determines Eligibility?” below). Apply to the New York State Department of Labor by phone at 888.209.8124 or online.

What Questions Will You Be Asked?

When you apply, the Department of Labor (DOL) will ask if you work for an educational institution, and whether you are between years or terms. The answer is yes to both questions. They will then ask you what you have been told about the coming year. You must fully disclose all offers of work, whether written, verbal, or electronic. If there is reason to believe that a course you have been offered may not actually run or may be given to someone else, include that in what you tell the DOL.

How Is Your UI Benefit Rate Calculated?

The application will ask you where you have worked in the last 15 to 18 months, and to list all employers during that period. The DOL will calculate your weekly UI benefit rate based on your recent earnings and will inform you of the results by mail in a one-page Notice of Monetary Determination. Your weekly benefit will range from a minimum of $100 to a maximum of $504.

Note: During the coronavirus crisis, the federal government enacted an additional benefit of $600 per week for anyone eligible for unemployment. Through July 31, 2020, this will be paid weekly along with your allotted rate.

How Do You “Certify” For Your Benefits Each Week?

Each week you will go online or call in by phone. You will be asked: Did you work this week? If you worked any of the preceding seven days (Monday–Sunday), you must report the number of days during which you worked. Twenty-five percent of your weekly benefits will be subtracted for each day during which you worked. You will receive the remainder of your UI benefits, plus the full $600.

Note: If you earn more than $504 gross in a given week, you are not allowed any UI for that week.

What Determines Eligibility?

Under New York State Unemployment Insurance Law (Section 590.10), people employed by educational institutions are not eligible for UI during the summer or during winter break if they have “reasonable/probable” assurance of rehire for “similar services” the following semester or year. When you apply, you will be asked what you have been told and specifically offered by the colleges for the fall and spring semesters. Such questions are: Have you been offered specific courses by title and schedule? When were you informed? You are most likely eligible for benefits if:

  • You have received a letter of non-reappointment.
  • You haven’t been given a class and are not listed in CUNYfirst.
  • You are given an assignment that represents less than 90% of the previous semester (e.g., if you taught three courses in the spring and were offered only two for the fall).

What If You Receive A One-Year Appointment Letter?

This may increase your chances of being eligible for UI during the summer, if you are offered/scheduled for fewer courses. A 2015 NYS Supreme Court ruling (the Rosenbaum decision) ruled that adjuncts who are offered a one-year appointment are eligible for benefits if they do not have a clear offer of the same number of courses for the coming academic year as they had for the academic year just completed.

What If You Receive A Three-year Appointment Letter?

This may reduce your chances of receiving benefits during the summer because the three-year appointment guarantees you receiving a minimum of six hours of teaching or the non-teaching equivalent. However, if you have an overall reduction of courses from one academic year to the next, you may be eligible because your income from teaching will be reduced.

What If You Are Denied Benefits?

If the DOL denies you benefits, you have a right to request a hearing within 30 calendar days of the date of the notice of denial. The Workers Defense League, 212.627.1931, an independent nonprofit specializing in unemployment insurance advocacy, is available for free advice and possible representation. It has successfully represented many CUNY adjuncts over many years. The league will analyze your claim, and if it believes that you have a case, it will accompany you and represent you at the hearing. You also have the right to represent yourself. The PSC does not represent claimants at UI hearings.

Note: Unfortunately, hearings have been temporarily suspended during the coronavirus crisis. Those who are denied benefits should continue to claim benefits weekly and wait to receive a hearing date when hearings resume.

What About Retaliation?

Adjuncts are often worried about how their departments and colleges will react to their filing for unemployment. Retaliation is a violation of the PSC-CUNY contract. Call the PSC if you think this is happening at 212.354.1252.

Brooklyn. All in.