Hiring International Students

U.S. Employers’ Guide to Hiring Brooklyn College International Students

The purpose of this guide is to inform U.S. employers about:

  • International students’ F-1 and J-1 work authorization options
  • The ease of procedures and costs involved when hiring Brooklyn College international students for internships or full-time opportunities after graduation.

Internships / Jobs During Degree Program

Employment After Graduation

Long-Term Employment in the United States

Legal Notice

This guide is not intended to and does not serve as legal advice; it is for informational purposes only. The Office of International Student and Scholar Services serves Brooklyn College international students directly and does not give immigration advice or respond to questions from employers. Content is subject to change. Employers are advised to consult an experienced U.S. immigration attorney with any additional questions.

How does the Office of International Student and Scholar Services support employers and international students?

The Office of International Student and Scholar Services’ mission is to enhance the academic experiences of international students and scholars by providing the highest levels of knowledge and expertise in advising, immigration services, advocacy, and programming to the Brooklyn College campus community.

Our office seeks to empower students with the knowledge they need to navigate their visa status, including seeking and obtaining the authorization to work. This information pertains to Brooklyn College students only and may not apply to students at other institutions.

Why Hire International Students?

Brooklyn College’s international students represent 90 countries and pursue a diverse array of degrees and career goals. They possess qualities that top employers seek:

  • Global perspectives with diverse viewpoints and experiences
  • Multilingual and cross-cultural communication skills that are vital for companies to compete in a global economy
  • Effective leadership and teamwork skills along with the ability to adapt to changes and persevere
  • Education taught by industry leaders

The majority of international students are in F-1 or J-1 immigration status that includes off-campus work authorization benefits during and after the academic program. The remainder of this guide provides an overview of these work authorization options along with long-term employment visa options and resources. We hope the information will help to clarify and streamline the hiring process of international students.

Important Note

Employers should note that a Social Security number alone is not sufficient proof of work authorization for international students. It is critical that employers confirm an international student’s work authorization prior to the employment start date to prevent any liability for the student and the employer in the future.


Contact Us

International Student and Scholar Services

E: international@brooklyn.cuny.edu
P: +1 718.951.4477
F: +1 718.951.4287

Brooklyn. All in.