Establishing New York State Residency for In-State Tuition

ApplYing for Residency

Students applying for in-state tuition must have resided in New York State, with the intent to stay, for at least one year prior to the first day of class for the semester in which they are applying for a determination. Students must submit proper documentation (below). You are responsible for the payment of any and all out-of-state tuition by the tuition due date on your bill until your request for New York State residency status has been reviewed and a decision has been made in your favor. If a determination is made in your favor at a later date, you may be eligible for a tuition refund.

Nonresidents of New York State and Out-of-Status (Undocumented) Students

If you are a nonresident of New York State and an out-of-status (undocumented) student who attended a New York State high school for at least two years and graduated, or obtained a New York State GED diploma, you may apply for in-state tuition if you apply to CUNY within five years of receiving your diploma.

Appeal Process

If you believe that you meet requirements for in-state tuition, you may appeal by notifying the Registrar’s Office (or other designated college appeal office) within 10 days of notification that you have been determined to be a nonresident. At that time, you must submit a statement to the registrar (or other designated official) indicating why you disagree with the college’s decision.

Brooklyn. All in.