BC-ENU Edinburgh Exchange

Brooklyn College Exchange with Edinburgh Napier University
(Edinburgh, Scotland)

The Brooklyn College exchange program with Edinburgh Napier University (ENU) is open to all undergraduates who have completed at least 60 credits. Preference is given to film and television/radio students. Students selected for this program will have the unique opportunity to study in Edinburgh while only paying CUNY tuition, roundtrip airfare, and onsite living costs. Participants can choose to take courses in film studies and hands-on production classes. Studying at ENU is a prime opportunity to strengthen international professional networks and learn the approach of British filmmaking first-hand. Students will earn credit toward their degree, experience Scottish culture, live among the castles and cobblestones of Edinburgh, and strengthen international film and TV professional connections. This program is competitive, and spaces are limited. Applicants not accepted as part of the exchange program have the option to enroll directly with Edinburgh Napier University at ENU tuition rates.


This program is open to all college students, though preference is given to Brooklyn College students, and to film and television/radio majors. Applicants should have:

  • a 3.00 minimum GPA,
  • 60 college credits, and
  • a clear academic and disciplinary record.

Academic Credit and Course Offerings

Students receive credit and grades for the courses taken at Edinburgh Napier University. Prior to the end of the semester before studying abroad, all participants should obtain written approval for credit equivalencies. The Study Abroad Course Equivalency Form (pdf) provides information on how to do so.

You can review ENU course listings on the ENU website.

ENU Academic Calendar/Program Dates

  • Fall Semester: September–December
  • Spring Semester: January–May

Estimated Costs for One Semester (2015–16)

* Dollar estimate based on ENU published costs in pounds multiplied by currency exchange of one British pound equal to $1.52 (as of March 5, 2015). Students should be sure to check online for the most current exchange rates.

† There are plenty of resources online for referencing cost of living and student expenses in the United Kingdom. For example, the Student Calculator is a good place to gain insight about the costs of living and studying in Scotland.

How to Apply

  • Complete and submit the Notification of Study Abroad/Brooklyn College Study Abroad Application.
    • IPSA applications must be submitted to IPSA no later than April 1 for fall semesters, and October 1 for spring semesters. Due to limited spaces, interested students should submit their applications as early as possible.
  • After initial acceptance by IPSA, students will need to submit a ENU online application directly to Edinburgh Napier University.
    • ENU applications must be submitted no later than May 15 for fall semesters, and October 15 for spring semesters.

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Most scholarships and financial aid that a student receives for semester study at Brooklyn College can be applied on semester abroad exchange programs. Students should consult the Office of Financial Aid about specifics on how their financial aid applies. Scholarships are also available for semester study abroad. Refer to the IPSA website or visit the Brooklyn College Office of Scholarships. If you are not a Brooklyn College student, any financial aid you are currently receiving is administered by your home institution’s Office of Financial Aid. Questions about financial aid should be directed to that office.

Housing Information

Once you have been accepted to Edinburgh Napier University, ENU’s study abroad office will send you an application pack for university-owned accommodation. Students may also arrange off-campus housing in Edinburgh.

Student Visa Information

Students planning to study for fewer than six months will need a Student Visitor Visa (SVV). Students can obtain their SVV free of charge upon arrival at the airport in the United Kingdom. To enter Scotland and receive the SVV, students must show their original ENU acceptance letter and proof of sufficient funds for the full semester in Scotland. U.S. nationals do not need to complete an application in advance.

Students planning to study for a full year will need to apply for a Tier 4 visa in advance of their departure from the United States. Visit the U.K. Government website for more information on Student Visitor Visas and Tier 4 visas.

For More Information

International Programs & Study Abroad
1108 Boylan Hall
P: 718.951.5189

Edinburgh Napier University Resources

ENU International
P: +1.702.318.7127 (Across The Pond local rep)
E: studyabroad@napier.ac.uk

Brooklyn. All in.