BC-UAB Barcelona Exchange

Brooklyn College Exchange with Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (Bellaterra and Barcelona, Spain)

The Brooklyn College exchange program with Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) is open to all undergraduates with at least 45 completed credits. Exchange placements are limited and are competitive among applicants. Preference is given to students in communications, television/radio, urban sustainability, and studies or research in environmental sciences. Students selected for this program will have the unique opportunity to study for a semester or year in Spain while only paying CUNY tuition, roundtrip airfare, and onsite living costs. Students will live and take classes on the UAB campus in Bellaterra, Spain. Course work is available in Catalan, Spanish, and English. This program is competitive, and spaces are limited. Students not accepted as part of the exchange have the option to enroll directly at Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona at the UAB tuition rate.


This program is open to all college students, though preference is given to Brooklyn College students. Applicants should have:

  • a 3.00 minimum GPA,
  • 45 college credits,
  • a preferred background of three to four semesters college-level Spanish, and
  • a clear academic and disciplinary record.

Academic Credit and Course Offerings

Students receive credit and grades for the courses taken at UAB. Prior to the end of the semester before studying abroad, all participants should obtain written approval for credit equivalencies. The Study Abroad Course Equivalency Form (pdf) provides information on how to do so.

Students can review available course work information on the UAB Website.

UAB Academic Calendar/Program Dates

  • Fall Semester: September–February
  • Spring Semester: February–July

Estimated Costs for One Semester (2015–16)

  • CUNY tuition and fees
  • Roundtrip Airfare: $1,200
  • Housing (several options): $968–$2,080
  • Meals: $2,500
  • Student Visa: $160
  • Personal Expenses (local travel, Internet, laundry, etc.): $1,500
  • CUNY mandated CISI Health/Travel Insurance (pdf) ($42.58 per month): $170.32

How to Apply

  • Complete and submit the Notification of Study Abroad/Brooklyn College Study Abroad Application.
    • IPSA applications must be submitted to IPSA no later than April 1 for fall semesters, and October 1 for spring semesters. Due to limited spaces, interested students should submit their applications as early as possible.
  • After initial acceptance by IPSA, students will need to submit a UAB online application directly to Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona.
    • UAB applications must be submitted no later than May 15 for fall semesters, and October 15 for spring semesters.

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Most scholarships and financial aid that a student receives for semester study at Brooklyn College can be applied on semester abroad exchange programs. Students should consult the Office of Financial Aid about specifics on how their financial aid applies. Scholarships are also available for semester study abroad. Refer to the IPSA website or visit the Brooklyn College Office of Scholarships. If you are not a Brooklyn College student, any financial aid you are currently receiving is administered by your home institution’s Office of Financial Aid. Questions about financial aid should be directed to that office.

Housing and Student Residence Card for Foreigners

Once students have entered Spain, they are required to obtain a Student Residence Card for Foreigners. The card is valid for a maximum of one academic year and can be renewed annually until you finish your studies. The Welcome Point of the UAB will assist you in securing your Student Residence Card.

Students interested in living on UAB’s campus can review and apply for these housing options on the UAB Website. Students also have the option to arrange their own off-campus housing in Barcelona.

Student Visa Information

Students participating in the BC-UAB exchange program are responsible for securing their own student visas. This process should begin two to three months before the date of departure. Students should consult the Spanish Consulate of New York’s website for details and information.

NOTE: You will not be able to change your visa in Spain. The only valid visa is the one obtained from the Spanish embassy or consulate before going to Spain.

For More Information

International Programs & Study Abroad
1108 Boylan Hall
P: 718.951.5189

Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona Resources

UAB Information Point
P: (+34) 93.581.11.11
E: Informacio@uab.es

Spanish Consulate of New York
150 East 58th Street, 30th floor
New York, NY 10155
P: 212.355.4080 or 212.355.4082
F: 212.644.3751
E: cog.nuevayork@maec.es

Brooklyn. All in.