Military Credits

Important Notice

The Transfer Evaluations Office takes care of matriculated undergraduate students only.

Graduate students should contact Graduate Admissions for assistance.

Brooklyn College provides veteran and military students the option of having their military transcripts reviewed for undergraduate academic credit.

Veteran and military students who have served in the United States Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, Navy, or Coast Guard can request that their American Council of Education (ACE) recommendation transcript be reviewed by the Transfer Evaluations Office and the academic department evaluators for college equivalencies and credits.

The college will also accept DSST (DANTES) exams with a minimum score of 400 on Criterion Referenced test or 45 on Norm Referenced test.

The Military Transfer Credit policy is designed to reflect the academic content obtained through military instruction, including, but not limited to, basic training, noncommissioned and staff noncommissioned officers’ courses, leadership training classes, international deployments, military language institutes, and the military equal opportunity programs (EOP). Academic credits are awarded based upon the ACE recommendations and the approval of the academic departmental evaluators at Brooklyn College.

Some points to consider:

  • Applicability of transfer credit toward graduation requirements will vary depending on equivalency granted by the academic departmental evaluator and the student’s major/minor requirements.
  • Most credits are general elective credits, which may reduce the number of credits needed toward the 120-credit requirement for graduation, but are not direct equivalents to courses within the major/minor/Pathway requirements.
  • If elective requirements are complete, this may limit the options for course selections during the duration of your program. This can be an issue for students who need to keep a full-time course load for GI Bill® usage.

Transcript Evaluation Process

Step 1

It is recommended that you discuss whether you should have your military credit evaluated with your academic adviser or the Veteran and Military Programs Office, 1407 James Hall. Some degrees may require specific electives and will not need the additional credit. These credits will also not exempt you from the credit residency requirement of the college.

Step 2

Ensure that you have requested your military transcripts or DSSTE exam scores be sent to Brooklyn College, Transfer Evaluations Office. Military transcripts with ACE recommendations will need to be requested from the following:

Step 3

If your transcript has been received by the Transfer Evaluations Office, it will be evaluated as soon as possible. If you have any questions, you may e-mail us. You may send your transcript to Brooklyn College Transfer Evaluations Office, 306 West Quad Center, Brooklyn, NY 11210 or via e-mail.

Step 4

The Transfer Evaluations Office will act as your agent in gathering the equivalencies from the academic departmental evaluators at the college. Once the departments have reviewed your record and indicated the equivalency, we will update your CUNYfirst account, and DegreeWorks will automatically update a few days afterward.

Step 5

You will receive an e-mail once this process is complete.

Brooklyn. All in.