Percy Ellis Sutton SEEK Program

What Is the Percy Ellis Sutton SEEK Program?

SEEK (Search for Education Elevation and Knowledge) is the legislatively mandated higher education opportunity program at each of the senior colleges of the City University of New York (CUNY). Begun in 1966, the SEEK Program provides special academic, financial, and counseling assistance to students entering college for the first time. The program is designed to help students succeed in a rigorous college setting in order to advance the course of equality in higher educational opportunity at CUNY.

Financial Aid Assistance

All SEEK students must demonstrate and document financial need prior to entrance into the program. The SEEK Program awards financial assistance to economically eligible students to help with such expenses as transportation, books. and college fees.

All SEEK students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to apply for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) and Pell. Students may qualify for other financial aid programs such as Federal Work-Study (FWS) and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG). SEEK students may be eligible for 10 semesters of TAP assistance.

Who Is Eligible?

For admission into the SEEK program, prospective students must have:

  • a high school diploma as well as a high school average less than is normally required for admission to Brooklyn College (usually around an 80 CAA) or a New York State high school equivalency diploma or its equivalent from other states,
  • resided in New York State for at least one year prior to application,
  • not previously attended an institution of post-secondary education, except in the case of veterans who are permitted up to 18 credits earned during or prior to their tour of duty in the armed forces, and
  • a gross family income in the qualifying range.

How to Apply

Students must complete a Brooklyn College/CUNY application form. In addition, each applicant to the SEEK Program must complete the SEEK section of the application.

Transfer Students

Students transferring from SEEK, HEOP, or EOP must submit a completed Special Programs Transfer Request Form (PDF) along with the current year’s SAR (Student Aid Report).

Brooklyn. All in.